Having been proclaimed a Nature Reserve in 1985, the "veld" (terrain) is in pristine condition, consisting of Renoster Veld, Mountain Fynbos and succulent Karoo vegetation types found in 3 beautiful valleys. Situated in the Karoo with its wide open spaces, the 10,000 hectare conservancy has a natural wetland and is protected by majestic mountains and valleys, which makes for varied and ideal game viewing.
Aquila has all of the Big 5 - elephant, lion, buffalo, rhino and rare Cape mountain leopard - and is also home to giraffe and hippo. Aquila is also proud to host the first rhino to be born in the Western Cape in 250 years. Large herds of game are also found on the reserve such as black wildebeest, Burchell's zebra, springbok, gemsbok, steenbok, caracal (lynx), blesbok, bat eared fox, ostriches, klip springer, duiker, greybuck, baboon, black backed jackal, eland and red hartebeest.
Aquila experienced a rhino birth boom towards the end of 2015, unfortunately one of the calves born was rejected by its Mother, Aquila had to make the choice of uplifting the calf and hand rearing this orphan. This is an 18month long journey. The calf is being looked after by ARC and is housed on a separate boma on the main reserve. Guests visiting the reserve are able to view him on their game drives, this will be under strict supervision at our discretion.
Aquila and its natural wetland is home to 172 species of birds and is also home to several breeding pairs of the rare black eagle, after which the reserve has been named. Karoo chat, rufous-eared warbler, fairy flycatcher and yellow-bellied eremomela can be found on short walks into the surrounding wilderness. Lark-like bunting and black-headed canary move in after the rainy season. In the summer months the booted eagle is a regular visitor and the rainy season attracts flamingos to the reserve.
Aside from the ever-popular Game drive day trips, Aquila offers Horseback Safaris and Quad Bike Safaris or a combination of all three. Aquila has by far the greatest selection of game in the Western Cape and was rated by SAA's Sawubona In-flight Magazine as "One of the Best Day Trips‟, right up there with Cape Point and Table Mountain.
These are offered with or without transport to the reserve. Self-drive guests are advised to allow themselves 2 hours travelling time from Cape Town to the reserve.
Afternoon Day Trip: Welcome drinks on arrival – Buffet Lunch – Afternoon Game Drive
Morning Safari, Horseback And Quadbike Day Trip: Welcome Drinks - Breakfast - Morning Game Drive – Lunch
Combo Safari: Welcome Drinks – Breakfast - Morning Game Drive – Lunch - Horseback or Quadbike Safari
Fly-Inn Helicopter Or Fixed Wing Day Trip: Transfer from hotel, 45 to 60 minute flight followed by itinerary purchased
Rates Per Person
|Day Trip Programme||1 NOV 16 -
19 DEC 16
|20 DEC 16 -
10 JAN 17
|11 JAN 17 -
31 OCT 17
|Afternoon Safari: Start 11h45 to 16h00||R1 395||R1 540||R1 395|
|Morning Safari: Starts 09h00 to 16h00||R1 830||R2 015||R1 830|
|Horseback Safari: Starts 09h00 – 16h00||R2 155||R2 370||R2 155|
|Quadbike Safari: Starts 09h00 – 16h00||R2 480||R2 730||R2 480|
|Combo Safari: Starts 09h00 – 16h00||R3 020||R3 320||R3 020|
|Fly-In Helicopter or Fixed Wing||TBA||TBA||TBA|
PRIVATE SAFARIS can be arranged at an additional Cost of R2 700. per vehicle per safari.
R850. pp return transfer Cape Town/Aquila/Cape Town - Add this rate onto chosen day activity.
- Transfer offered with all programmes with the exception of Afternoon Day trip safari. The rates do not apply to Fly In Option.
- Pick-ups & drop-offs from all city centre accommodation establishments, contact reservations for other pick up points.
- Duration of transfer: approximately 2 ½ hours depending on pick up and drop off points.
- Private Transport, EXTRA cost of R2 900,00 for 10 seater vehicle - NB add on the per person rate to the R2 900 (10 seater rate).
Terms, Conditions & Cancellation Policy
Rates exclude all beverages, tel-fax, laundry, mini bar, optional excursions
- All Children welcome, under age 4 no charge, 4-11 years 1/2 price & 12+ full rate.
- Itinerary & Collection times are guidelines & subject to change to allow for seasonality .
- All rates quoted in ZAR (SA Rand) Vat inclusive and are quoted per person .
- No Shows, 100% of full amount payable.
- Cancellations within 0 - 14 days of date of arrival, 100% payable .
- Cancellations within 15 - 45 days of date arrival, 50% of full amount payable.
- Late arrivals/early departures, No refunds will be given for meals or services not taken up.
Group Bookings: a non-refundable deposit may be requested and specially negotiated cancellation policy will apply to any bookings which exceeds 25% of our capacity (day trip and overnight)